Sunday, May 15, 2011

Chapter 2

As teachers, we all have different views when it comes to the topic of integrating technology into our classrooms.   This school year, all K-8 teachers in my school have been required to submit technology lesson plans separate from weekly lesson plans.   This has become a great reminder for me on how important it is to make sure I am finding ways to differentiate instruction in my classroom.
Third grades still need direct instruction and at the same time they need a level of independent learning as well.   I have found that many of my students know much more that I thought when it comes to navigating on a computer and I have been able to go pretty far with them this year.   We have recently had Smart Boards installed in our school as well and they work so hard when they know we are going to get an opportunity to use the room that has the Smart Board.
Chapter  2 explains the importance of the TPACK and TIP model.   TPACK allows teachers to have the knowledge to incorporate technology as pedagogy.   Teachers have a difficult time finding the “extra” time for technology along with all the other lessons they need to get in but the TPACK is a great help for teachers to see that they can use a technology lesson (ex:webquest) as a form of instruction.

I enjoy the TIP model for the fact that it gives teachers an opportunity to see how to integrate a technology plan into their classroom.   The many tasks that classroom teachers have are very overwhelming and often times confusing and frustrating.  This model allows teachers to better understand how to incorporate a technology plan using a six step program.

The part that struck me the most in Chapter 2 would be what to do with limited resources.   We are slowly working towards getting up to date in terms of technology at my school, but at the same time we are lacking far behind.   I find it best to work with what I have.   Yes, it would be nice to have a Smart Board in my classroom, as well as working computers.   Whenever the computer lab is available – not often – we have one lab for a K-8 school, but at the same time something is better than nothing.   Where some students are now working all day from a computer at their desk, my students enjoy any chance we get to work on activities in the computer lab.

3 comments:

  1. I got stopped still at your first paragraph. Having to complete two separate lesson plans - one for technology? That's a lot of work. Did you get extra planning time?

    When you talk about using technology to differentiate instruction, do you mean to meet different ability levels or learning styles or ?? Our district is talking a lot about differentiating instruction, but there seem to be a lot of various definitions floating out there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first paragraph stopped me too! Wow... that is a lot of work. We are losing a planning period here, so if that became an expectation on top of everything else...grr. I just can't see the benefits in forcing teachers to create this. I see stress, stress, stress. Then again, I'm stressed, so I see it everywere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really appreciate your positive attitude regarding being thankful and working with what available resources you have. While it is true that technological integration definitely adds to a student's learning experience, something must be said about teachers with as good of an outlook such as yours...

    ReplyDelete