Sunday, May 29, 2011

Week 4 - Multimedia

After reading Chapter 5 & 6 and reflecting on what I use in my classroom in relation to the information in the chapter, I realized I learned more ways to improve implementing technology in my classroom than ways that I currently use technology.  For example, on the third grade level I have use graphic organizers on the  board and on paper to use as an organizing tool of information before they begin writing.    The text helped to see that using outlining tools and concept mapping software is much more advanced and is something I am going to try to incorporate for next school year.   

Electronic dictionaries are going to go on my class supply list as highly recommended for all students.    I do believe in teaching kids how to use a dictionary as a reference, at the same time a small electronic dictionary would be helpful.    In third grade, the level of writing increases greatly from second.    I often have students asking me how to spell words and the electronic dictionary at their own desks would be a great reference to make sure they are correct and to instill the skill of always checking your spelling if you are unsure of yourself.

Electronic gradebook is a tool that I implemented into my own classroom this year.    It has been one of the greatest things I could have ever done for myself and for the parents as well.    The program I use also allows for parents to have access to their childs grade as well.    There are features that will allow email updates to be sent as well.    For example, Tuesday when we return to school after the holiday my students are on a field trip.   This program allows me to send a quick reminder to bring a lunch and what to wear and is done in less than five minutes.

For me, I have to say my favorite part of the readings was the information on how using interactive storybooks can truly enhance a young child or struggling reader's development.     I found it helpful with my oldest sons and now my four year old.   A parent or teacher does not always have the time to read the book aloud.   Another bonus of using the interactive storybooks is some children may benefit more from that style of learning in comparison to a teacher or parent reading.

Reference

No comments:

Post a Comment